Rocky Roads are a delight for everyone! The dessert consists of melted chocolate, marshmallows, nuts and in some cases dried fruit. But how do you make a tasty Rocky Road? In this blog we take you to the origins of the Rocky Road, the recipe and variants of this delicacy!
Also check out our Rocky Road kit , with all necessary ingredients and a recipe card.
How did the Rocky Roads come about?
The origin of the Rocky Roads is actually a nice story. They were invented by the Aussies. Due to the shipping industry, on which Australia is dependent, many sweets were broken. Instead of throwing away the broken candy, they decided to pour melted chocolate over it. And it was nice that this was!
In no time, this creation became an immensely popular treat, especially among the gold miners on the land. This is also where it owes its name. This delicacy got its name because of the hard, bumpy and rough roads they had to travel. This has nothing to do with the hardness of the dessert, which is anything but hard.
Rocky Road recipe
- 150 grams of chocolate of your choice (pure is our recommendation)
- 45 grams of nut mix
- 15 grams of mini marshmallows
- 20 grams of biscuits
- 200ml condensed milk
- 40 grams caramel cubes (optional)
1. Line a small baking tin/oven dish with baking paper
2. Place the chocolate in a pan together with the condensed milk. Melt the chocolate over a low heat until smooth. Don't forget to stir regularly.
3. When all the chocolate has melted, add all the remaining ingredients. Stir this well and smoothly into the chocolate and then pour it into the baking tin.
4. Use a spatula to spread it evenly over the tin.
5. Set the bowl aside and let it set. This will take several hours.
Rocky Road for a special occasion
Are you baking them for a special occasion or a holiday? Adjust the recipe for the Rocky Road accordingly! For example, use colored M&M's to give it extra color, or use white chocolate (with food coloring) to make the appearance even more cheerful!
Hopefully we have been able to put you on the right track with this recipe. Also make your own variations on this according to your own needs. Rocky Road is of course very tasty for the holidays. Are you still looking for Sinterklaas presents? Be sure to take a look at our personalized Sinterklaas gifts !